Saturday, December 19, 2015

"It's Beginning to Smell a Lot Like Bowen's "Homemade" Hot Sauce!"

Let me start off this posting about making my own hot sauce by saying don't forget to respect others in your home that may not appreciate hot stuff cooking and the smell in the house.  I waited until the ladies in our house took a trip down to Vilcabamba, Ecuador to finish the sauce.  I am glad I did as the whole house smells great to me but they would have been running for the hills with my body parts in tow.

I have been thinking about making my own hot sauce for some time.  I have made yummy relishes but not hot sauce.  I was visiting with a friend of mine and we both share a love of spicy foods.  Esteban is the owner and chef at Red Angus in Cuenca, Ecuador and he gave me a few Ecuadorian peppers to make my own sauce with.  He also gave me some of his own homemade sauce and I gave him a small bottle of an American sauce to try.

Later that day, Heather bought me some red jalapenos from Supermaxi and I bought some more Serrano type peppers at a market.



I got home and decided to try to make my our Hot Sauce.  I researched recipes online and found they were all very similar.  I made a decision not to follow the online ones 100%.  I decided to add more sugar and more peppers than all recipes called for.  I will let you know that if you can and want to, I would recommend a small batch or two to discover your own recipe and then from there, make large batches.  This process is a lot of effort and it generated a LOT of dishes.  In order to insure no pepper flavor was transmitted I washed everything two times so there was no issues with the ladies getting the sauce flavor in something else.

I blackened (I quasi roasted) the peppers, an onion, garlic and then placed them into a food processor with some brown sugar and salt. I then decided to add some white sugar as well to assist the fermentation process and make the sauce a bit sweeter.


I used several glass jars that used to hold local jam.  Here in Ecuador jars are hard to come by.  I found the fermentation process caused a lot more expansion than I thought.  I recommend filling your jars only half way.  I opened slowly, and stirred the jars several times a day.
  

Heather even joined in and helped. She had the misfortune of one jar going volcano on her.



I fermented for five days.  Then blended the mix again.  I then poured it into a saucepan and added vinegar.  I brought it to a boil and cooked it several minutes.  


After cooling I decided it needed to be thicker.  So I cooked it again.


After cooking, I tried a cheese cloth to filter the sauce. It was thin and not what I wanted. 




I poured it into a colander and smashed the mix until I had all the liquid and peppers flesh through the screen. I made sure to scrape the outside of the colander after and then I used the only bottle I had. Yeah I know that its a hot sauce bottle from a real good company in the states. It's not sold here and it is another reason for my trying to make my own sauce.


The results? My sauce was hot. Dang hot! There was a habenaro after heat but also a lot of up from heat. The roasting gave a smokey flavor and the garlic was spot on. No recipes online said to use onion but I did and I recommend doing it. Did I replicate sirrachia? No I did not. But what I made is delish and I will definitely do this again.



I am vague and not providing a recipe as I think there are plenty out there. I also think anyone doing this will make changes of their own and adapt to make it more to taste. 



I plan to make more posts about cooking. I am doing a lot more cooking and I think it would be cool to share more on the blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment