Monday, January 11, 2016

Christmas Parade 2016 in Cumbe, Azuay Province, Ecuador

I was walking to the market here in Cumbe the other day and I saw some floats being prepared.  I managed to snap a few photos while walking. It was fun to see everyone dressed up in costumes and decorating pickups and cars.  I didn’t understand the guinea pigs and whole pigs roasted and displayed on truck hoods.  One pig was secured to a platter on the back of a horse even.







I suspect its a display of plenty and a request for good food or fortune for the new year.  Maybe its like Santa cookies and milk we do back in the states.

I tried to get ahead to see the parade but it managed to stay several blocks ahead.

After finishing in the market, I started home.  On my way back up out street, Heather ran past me with another camera to catch the parade as it went past our road.  I was a bit tired so I just went back to the house to unload the food and drink some coffee.



















































Heather got some great photos of the last half of the parade and while taking pictures, a mother and daughter we know walked past.  The little girl gave a few pieces of hard candy to Heather.  It was a very sweet moment and Heather was moved deeply by her generosity.  It was a gesture of thanks for gifts we had given her previously.  And it was all the candy she had.  So many Ecuadorians are friendly, outgoing, helpful and giving.  I wish it could be the same within more of the expat community.


We know a few gringos that we honestly enjoy being around.  But, there are so many that are close minded and rude.  So much so that it becomes really difficult to even want to reach out and figure out if people are even worth knowing.

It seems to us that a lot of people that had difficulty socially in the USA, Canada, or original country have become expats here in Ecuador.  It is hard to deal with so much negativity and silly clicks that we find ourselves divesting our list of gringos we called friends, at one time.

Also, there has been a heat wave in Cuenca of late.  We are much higher in elevation and surrounded in our valley by mountains on all four sides.  Cumbe has managed to stay cool, most days. All three of us are very happy with our location.  No humidity,  Lots of greenery, and cooler temps.  Its a mix of Oregon and Colorado.  Heather's sister is coming in three months for a week visit and we are very excited to be able to share Ecuador with her, show her some of its beauty, and attractions. It will be a blast I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment