Saturday, December 27, 2014

Dan's New Favorite Christmas Gift!

On Christmas Eve, the best present arrived (material gift that is, my daughters would have been the best gift).

We took a few photos to show off my newest toy. It is a Global Sai vegetable knife. It is a quasi Nakiri with a twist. The blade on the Global Sai is a bit longer and it has a slight curve to the blade so you can rock the blade like a standard chef blade. I have to say the knife is everything I had ever wanted and exactly what I hoped it would be. Before I even used the blade, I decided to let Candy and then Heather try the blade on some potatoes we were going to mash for Christmas dinner. Then I also asked the ladies to use my cheap Chicago Cutlery 8 inch chef knife. I keep the Chicago knife razor sharp and it still didn't compare to the Global. The Global was double the thickness and the blade was 50 percent heavier or more yet it was comfortable and balanced.


I used two different holds on the blade, the traditional grip that I learned years ago. Then I tried the newer pinch grip method. The pinch grip was very comfortable and the older traditional grip I was used to, not so much. The heft of the Global made cutting so easy and accurate. My point was clearly made to the ladies, now they understand the value in getting high quality knifes and why I wanted some quality knives. Heather liked the knife so much that she had a hard time giving me the knife back. :-)

If it's not clear yet, I am an unabashed foodie. I know I could drop a serious amount of cheddar shopping for cooking gear. My next knife will most likely be an eight or nine inch chef knife. I have yet to decide what knife yet and I welcome suggestions from you, the reader's. I will say that the knife will have to be bulletproof. Due to this requirement, I already ruled out Shun from the short list. It is a good knife but far to brittle. Please, give me your views. From the comments Heather gave me, I might have to wait until next Christmas or after we get settled into our new life in Ecuador. Knives are going to come in handy with all the produce that is available year round down in Cuenca.

About a year ago, I gave a friend of mine my old incomplete set of Bergoff knifes, I resolved then that I would buy a new, fancier set of high end knives. However, the more I research and learned I have realized that selecting different brands made more sense as each brand has there own strong points. A chef knife, Nakiri, and a large and small pairing knife. That's all I plan to use so a large set would be kind of wasteful.

Dan






No comments:

Post a Comment